A week ago on Sunday (not yesterday), we found the bees bearding on the side of the hive. We were worried for a little that they were running out of room and trying to swarm, especially because in our last inspections we found lots of queen cups and a couple of queen cells. We called Mr. H for his opinion. He told us to check in the hive the next day. Twenty minutes later, the bees were gone and there was not bearding. We went around checking all of the trees in the yard to see if they swarmed nearby. We asked Mr. H if the bees would have swarmed so close to dark and he said probably not.
The next day we went into the hive and everything was good. We found the queen. There was plenty of brood and honey. Fewer hive beetles and only one queen cup. We found new comb on the empty frames. It happened again a few days later. We figured out the mystery. The culprit was our neighbor’s sprinkler. We think because the water was spraying on the entrance of the hive, the bees were landing fast because they were getting wet and that caused a traffic jam. Now we now that if there is bearding again to look for a sprinkler.